Thursday, July 9, 2009

Horror Movie Classics VII

I feel like I'm dragging through this project...seems like I should have thought it out more when I started.

But far be it for me to complain, I made you a promise and by God I'm gonna stick to it!!!

So...today's film is...Dementia 13.

Interesting note here...this was Francis Ford Coppola's first directorial debut. Thank God they gave him a second chance.

Now don't get me wrong, the beginning starts out well. You have the resident eye candy Louise out in a row boat with her husband.



Hubby tells her she out of the family will and then he promptly dies from a heart attack. (How fortunate for dear old Louise!)

So she does what any loving wife would do, she dumps the body overboard. She then flies over the Atlantic to the family home in Ireland in a desperate attempt to make up with dear old 'mother in law'. The idea is to get back in good with the fam so mom will reconsider adding her back to the will while her husband is 'away on business.'

So once we get to the family estate the film starts playing by the numbers.

For example, you have-

Insane mother - check
Mysterious death of a daughter long ago - check
Creepy brother in law - check
Lot's of moody Gothic location filming - check
Plot...oh...well is that really necessary?

Half way through the story gets kinda muddled. So what's any self respecting young flimmaker to do?

Why you simply bring out the axe wielding manic to chase everyone around for the last twenty minutes of the film.

Oh don't get my wrong, you get some pretty gory scenes at this point. And I know you're saying, "Well this would be a good thing right Pig?"

Let me tell you, no matter how much blood you throw at a film, if the ending is tacked on because the film is running slow that's not helping that's making things worse.

Eh...

Over all not as bad as "Nightmare Castle" - but not as good as "Horror Hotel".

So where does that leave us?

Well I was going to give it two and a half skulls...but...

I couldn't find a photo of two and a half skulls so I'm giving "Dementia 13"

Two skulls


and a Lemur eating natchos and drinking beer while watching what I assume is "Night of The Living Dead".

At least I think that's a lemur...

No comments: