Wednesday, August 26, 2009

WIP Wednesday

So I've started teaching the creative writing class I teach for a new year. Half the students are showing promise, the rest need much work, TLC and in one case a swift kick in the rear.

One of my students is very religious, and her mother is even worse. She's been sharing our work with her mom.

I write along with the kids and share my work with them as well...so alas - no zombie stories for me this year...sigh...

As a result I've decided this would be a good time to work on a few Steampunk short stories as a warm up for NaNoWriteMo in November...(my goal is to write the proper Steampunk YA novel).

Anyway here is the start to my Steampunk short story (as of yet untitled).


Removing his spectacles, Ian began to clean them on the end of his shirtail. Looking up he glanced at his friend and flat-mate Lucian Meriwether, sitting directly opposite him. The candle on his desk framed the young man's form which was cast in shadow as he hunched over the brass eyepiece of his microscope. Outside the wind howled through the empty night streets, while the rain beat gently upon the leaded glass of their dormer window.

Rising from his leather chair, Ian stepped from the warmth of the fireplace and peered down into the deserted street below. The gas-lamps glowed faintly in the mist, barely illuminating the shining pavement. A single figure rushed through the fog, a student or faculty member burning the midnight oil at the school library most likely.



Anyway. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm going for a Holmes and Watson thing...that is if Holmes and Watson were seventeen when they met.

It's a start. Wait until you see what they find at the Bell Tower Aslyum.



No comments: