Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Trip Down Amnesia Lane

Let me tell you a story...

Since I was about eight years old I have fancied myself as a modern day, American Doctor Who. For those who know nothing of the show...a brief rundown.




The Doctor as he is known is a mysterious time traveler...who travels through time and space in a machine which looks like a Police Public Call Box from London circa 1950-1960.



The interior is bigger on the inside than on the outside. And our man the Doctor is always finding himself in various scrapes all throughout time and space.

The show began on November 22, 1963 and ran pretty much non-stop on the BBC until 1989. (You heard me right - twenty six years running...without a break - unless you count that hiatus crap in the mid 1980s).


Then, there was an attempted resurrection on the Fox network back in 1997.



Sadly, just as Fox does with most great shows (see...Firefly, Wonderfalls, Andy Richter Controls the Universe...etc.) it was killed. Mostly likely because it was creative and original.

Anyway, thank the good lord that the show is back on the air and can be seen on BBC America or the Sci-Fi Channel.

What I love about the show is how it constantly reinvents itself. Every one to five years the character the Doctor 'regenerates' into a new form. Which allows a new actor to play the role. He picks up new companions and then leaves them behind once they have had enough (or in a few cases they die).

He'll save a world and just before the populace celebrates him as a hero, he climbs inside his time machine and without fan fair, he simply leaves. And that to me has always been a metaphor for my life.

Now we get to the point...(because if you have not realized it yet...this blog is really all about me).

I have tried to live my life like the Doctor. The wife-unit knows this. She's pointed it out a few times. I was the most happy when I was traveling. I picked up people in my life and then they left...like the Doctor's granddaughter was left to rebuild Earth after it was invaded in 2025. Just like his companion Sarah Jane Smith was forced to return to Earth in the 1980s when it became too dangerous for her to continue to travel with him.



Friends have come into my life and gone. Girlfriends have come and gone. And yet I continued to travel...fighting evil, avoiding the use of violence, using my wits and charm...even stopping for a spot of tea. (I really should be British you know).

Throughout it all, I have to say that so far it's been a pretty good lifestyle.

I must admit, it was a little dysfunctional...as in it took the wife-unit years to break me and realize that I needed to settle down with her (and thank God I did).

But...and there is always a but...

Here's what they don't tell you about trying to be a traveling time lord who abhors violence.

Sometimes your past catches up with you.

Because of Facebook, I've lately found myself being forced to face my past life...particularly in High School. This is a time I simply walked away from. I left my friends and ex-girlfriends behind. I continued forward, not bothering to look back, because I was living new adventures and meeting new companions.

But now, I've suddenly found my past staring right at me, bringing to light all these feelings and thoughts I had safely locked away.

As my friend Scott said today wistfully - "That's kinda cool...and kinda sad."

Yes my friend it is. But, what is even more sad is that some day you'll probably move on to another planet, helping it's inhabitants rebuild after the two of us save them.

And as for me...I will calmly walk over to my time machine and just simply move on.

No comments: